Monday, July 26, 2010

More English Teacher Weirdness

Via a Bookslut tweet comes this link to a Guardian article about a lost work by Romantic poet Percy Bysshe Shelley and some works by Franz Kafka.  The works are not available to the public.  The article points out,
"We can easily envisage an owner owning a manuscript while we collectively own and know the piece of literature it contains. But in the case of the works of Kafka that are lying in those safes, we're not allowed to do that. Both the manuscripts and the literature are in the possession of the owners."
I doubt that the works in question will change the way I teach the Romantics or Kafka, but I agree that it's "an outrage, that a long dead, great writer's work can be hidden away in its owner's drawer."  Literature and other art should be shared.

No comments: