Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Still Another Reason I Won't Be A Republican

The series begins here and continues here.

8.  I realize this one is mostly style, but I don't want to live in the South.  I hate heat and humidity and swamps. I loathe sweet tea and can barely tolerate grits.  NASCAR bores me, and football was meant to be played on Sundays.  The Republican party caters to the South.  That means that its language is filled with images of things I really don't like.

On a substantive level, the South likes the death penalty a bit too much.  I also don't believe that the cause of the rebellion against Northern aggression was that noble.  There seems to be a bit too much revisionism as we undertake a "celebration" of the Civil War's 150th anniversary.

Finally, politics that helps Mississippi probably doesn't help South Dakota.  I'd like a truly national party.

No comments: