Thursday, September 15, 2011

Reasons I Won't Be A Republican

I have frequently claimed that I am a political GDI (god damned independent) and wished a pox on both of the major parties' houses.  Still, outside of exposing a cantankerous contrarian personality, I haven't really given an organized list of  reasons for my dislike of the major parties.

I'll start with the Republicans.  These are the big three.  There will be more to follow.  I'll get to the Democrats soon

1.  The death penalty as practiced in the United States is questionable at best and completely immoral at worst,  I'm leaning much closer to the latter.  The Republicans full-throated support of this policy frightens me.



2. The Patriot Act is the biggest assault on freedom that I've seen in my 50+ years.  The Republicans support extending this act.  I find it impossible to support a party that believes that a mandate to buy insurance is a bigger threat to liberty than a law that says an executive can without probably cause declare people to be terrorists and then hold them secretly and indefinitely.

3. The anti-intellectual bent that even David Brooks notices.  I don't have time to list all of the examples from the South Dakota Legislature.

I'll add to this list rather frequently over the next month.

1 comment:

caheidelberger said...

Sounds like the thinking that proelled me away from the GOP during the last decade. Add GOP support for NCLB.