Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Seth Godin Explains What Education Classes Should Have Taught Me But Didn't

I don't remember ever cutting and pasting a whole post before, but Godin's pithy advice provides the reminders I need as I start the school year.
Your first mistake might be assuming that people are rational.
Your second mistake could be assuming that people are eager for change.
And the marketer's third mistake is assuming that once someone knows things the way you know them, they will choose what you chose.[emphasis in original]
The young'uns have many wonderful qualities, but they're teenagers. To the best of my knowledge, teenager and rational are not synonyms. Actually, I doubt human and rational are synonyms. Pardon the cliche, but if I had a nickel for every time I've heard "When I was in school, they did it right," I could retire to a Caribbean island. The last one should be be self explanatory to everyone. (Lovers of nation building especially should keep that one in mind too, but that's a different post.)

Now if I can just discover a way to skip faculty meetings.

No comments: