Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Minor Musing: Small Town Roots Edition

I've put off reading Rod Dreher's biography of his late sister, The Little Way of Ruthie Lemming for two reasons. First, I have a low threshold for sentimentality, and I find it difficult to believe that a book about a woman who taken by cancer can avoid being overly sentimental. Second, it's about Dreher's return to the South. Something bothers me that nearly every cultural treatment of small towns seems to involve the South. When's the last time a film, TV series, or country song was set in rural Montana?

Still his discussion how smaller communities can provide roots applies to most rural communities. His admissions about the need to be rooted in community and his difficulty setting down roots resonate.


And because I can, let's add some John Mellancamp to get the morning started.


No comments: