Friday, March 22, 2013

A Minor Musing Offering Advice To Republicans

Republicans recently announced a plan to rebrand, rebuild, and refocus.

They didn't talk with me, and they may not want my vote or my advice. I did, however, offer some unsolicited advice to South Dakota Democrats, so it seems fair that I do the same for Republicans. I believe this post will be much briefer than the missive to Democrats. This post will  hopefully be more pithy, parallel and alliterative.

First, instead of trying to guarantee a gun for every hand, the GOP should promulgate policies that will help working class Americans regain their ability to put a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage.

Second, instead of protecting those who benefited from it, work to undo the damage caused by what Adam Posen describes as "a corrupt capture of a big chunk of our political and economic system where a lot of legislation, regulation, and corporate decisions were directed to maximizing the benefits for the few people in charge of financial firms."

I suspect that this advice applies to Democrats as well. They, however, do not seem nearly as beholden to the NRA nor did they run a candidate for President who was going to build a garage with an elevator.

2 comments:

Troy Jones said...

The biggest corrupt piece of legislation is Dodd-Frank. It truly puts control in the hands of big banks and Wall Street.

LK said...

I'm not going to argue that Dodd Frank is an example of the the road to Hell being paved in good intentions.

I do believe that there were changes in the 1980s and early 1990s that started the trend that favored investors over workers.

I mentioned Romney in the post.He's a symptom of the problem. Nearly everything he said was about entrepreneurs. I'm not going to contend that entrepreneurs are not important to the economy but most people can't be entrepreneurs in the current economy unless one counts corner hot dog stands.