Tuesday, November 6, 2012

How I Voted: 2012 Election Edition

For President: Gary Johnson

I'm not a Libertarian, and I firmly believe that a Libertarian majority would destroy the social safety net. Yet, Libertarians are the only party talking about the perils of the security state, the loss of civil liberties, and the need to end foreign adventuring. All three of those issues are as important as, if not more important than, the social safety net.

For House: Matt Varilek

Kristi Noem is a walking chimera who combines the Scarecrow, the Lion, and the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz; she lacks intellect, the courage to stand up to her own party, and the heart necessary to truly make a difference for South Dakota. I believe that Varilek has intellect and heart; two out of three ain't bad. (Yes, I am channelling my inner Meat Loaf.)

For PUC: Matt McGovern

Fiegen's tenure as a member on various corporate boards of directors strikes me as asking the fox to guard the hen house.

Ballot Measures: No on all

RL 16 is a solution in search of a problem and bureaucratic nightmare waiting to come to life. IM 15 would increase South Dakota's sales tax on food and necessities, so I couldn't vote for it. I also doubted the assertion that the legislature couldn't change the funding formula to use only the new sales tax revenue to fund K-12 education and Medicaid. The other ballot measures seemed faulty.

Local Legislators: Hunhoff, Hunhoff, and Stevens.


  Jean Hunhoff voted against HB 1234. (I am close to being a single-issue voter this election.) Bernie Hunhoff has done as well as can be expected with a permanent minority. Mike Stevens seemed to understand education issues when he served on the Yankton School Board.

I'm not sure if my vote will affect any of the results, but tt's been my experience that I will live long enough to regret every vote I've cast today.

1 comment:

larry kurtz said...

Good eye, LK: perfect vote for South Dakota.