Thursday, October 18, 2012

Quotation Of The Day: Newsweek Ending Its Print Edition Edition

Reacting to Tina Brown's announcement Ed Kilgore sums up my nostalgia:
I guess those of us of a certain age ought to wax nostalgic about Newsweek’s demise as a print publication. I am in fact old enough to remember when Newsweek and Time (and to a lesser extent, U.S. News and World Report) were how smart and civically engaged regular folk outside Megalopolis got regular doses of national news and commentary. This was long before you could spot those blue New York Times bags on suburban lawns across the country, and long before cable news and even Talk Radio. And it’s obviously a business model and a slice of media culture that makes little or no sense today.
I remember being ecstatic when my parents subscribed to Newsweek to help me in my high school civics and government classes. The magazine arrived every Thursday or Friday depending on how the mail service was working, and I'd re-read articles all through the week.

No comments: