Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Quotation Of The Day; Comics And Social Issues Edition

I know.  I know.  Any post about comics and social relevancy is supposed to deal with the fact that DC has announced that a major character will reveal he's gay.  Speculation has run amok.  If one is a Marvel die hard, one should blog about Northstar's impending same-sex nuptials.

I probably should make a few serious remarks abut these events, but I also remember how badly Marvel mishandled Rawhide Kid's exit from the closet; I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

Besides, it's early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee.   Therefore, this Hannibal Tabu "analysis" about Ben Grimm's impolitic language seems a good way to start the day.
Most of "Avengers vs. X-Men" #4 was just "whatever," but there's one piece worth noting" Ben Grimm said to Namor, "I don't even care what's goin' on ... I just like punchin' you in your stupid fish face." While some may have concerns about this clear slur against pesco-Americans, some others would just consider it built up enmity over Namor trying to give his best friend's wife the business. Had Grimm not used another pesco-American slur in another "AvX" title this week ("Hey Fishpaste!") it might have been easy to write off, but certainly the Anti-De-fishmation League will have something to say about this!

No comments: