Saturday, April 7, 2012

School Administrators And HB 1234

Cory covers the big issues of the school administrators' decision to criticize SDEA's efforts to refer HB 1234, but I'll add a couple of brief observations.

First, getting people anywhere to actually vote for a tax increase is difficult. Getting South Dakotans to vote for a tax increase may be next to impossible. Further, those who have rightfully asserted that the sales tax is inherently regressive will have their words come back to haunt them.  Those facts lead me the to believe that the sales tax measure will be defeated, and the administrators are laying the groundwork to make teachers scapegoats.

Second, I remain unconvinced that the sales tax measure is as ironclad as the administrators seemingly believe.  I see nothing to prevent the legislature and governor from changing the education funding formula in future sessions.  In fact, I would be willing to wager that other sources of funding will be cut in 2014 and beyond should the initiated measure pass in 2012.

(Typed with thumbs on phone; edited on laptop to get rid of some formatting garbage. I continue to reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.)

2 comments:

caheidelberger said...

Good point on the scapegoating, LK. If anything, referring HB 1234 will increase our chances of passing IM 15, not decrease them.

caheidelberger said...

...and I'm willing to accept the haunting of previous comments about the regressivity of sales taxes.