Monday, January 16, 2012

Keeping Mind And Soul Together Is Difficult

When I was a kid, the United Negro College Fund ran PSAs like this one with the famous tagline "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

I worry about the young minds in my class frequently.

"War of Nerves," a classic M*A*S*H episode, contained the following exchange between Sydney Freedman and Father Mulchay added body and soul to the dangerous things to lose list.
Sidney: When Pierce and Hunnicutt lose one, he's out of his misery. When I lose one, I've lost a mind.Father Mulcahy: When I lose one, I've lost a soul.
A recent Barna poll might make those charged with helping souls feel a bit disconcerted.
In a finding sure to disappoint pastors, three out of five church attenders said they could not recall an important new religious insight from their last church visit. Of those who attended in the previous week, 50 percent could not recall walking away with a significant new understanding.
In fairness, "[a]bout a quarter of Americans said their life was greatly affected by church attendance and another quarter said it was somewhat influential."

No comments: