Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve Musings

I've never been one to do much celebrating on New Year's Eve, but as I get older, I appreciate the chance for new beginnings.  Hope springs eternal on the opening day of each sport's opening day.  (As a side note Major League Baseball's opening day should be a national holiday.)  Kids may lose their optimism quickly but most seem to relish the chance to start a new school year with a fresh start.

2011 started with a long winter followed by dreary local, statewide, and national political outcomes.  The usual distractions failed to provide solace (the Twins sucked.)  At a personal level, the year seemed to have more downs than ups.

Tomorrow is a chance to start over.  Here's hoping 2012 will be better.  Happy New Year.

1 comment:

yanktonirishred said...

Leo, I have taken every opening day off since my Freshman year of High School (mom would call and excuse me). I have hot dogs, Cracker Jacks, Beer, soda, Peanuts and Seeds as I watch baseball from 10:00am CST to midnight or later catching as many games east coast to west coast as I can.
I love opening day. It is in my top 5 yearly days.
Take the day off, you deserve it.

Shane