Monday, May 16, 2011

I Think Silly Season Will Start Tonight

The Press & Dakotan carried this announcement in its May 3rd edition.
A public meeting concerning the Yankton School District opt-out, “Summit at the Summit II,” will be held at 7:01 p.m. Monday, May 16, at the Summit Activities Center, Yankton.

All citizens are invited to the second this event. Facts, feelings, healing and education will be discussed.

Special invitees include South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard, Secretary of Education Melodee Schopp and Superintendent of Yankton Schools Dr. Joseph Gertsema.

This opportunity is being presented for all citizens, especially those from South Dakota, and for citizens and friends of neighboring states.
Today, the paper carried this announcement:
A public meeting concerning the Yankton School District opt-out, “Summit at the Summit II,” will be held at 7:01 p.m. tonight (Monday) at the Summit Activities Center, Yankton. (This event is not sponsored by the Yankton School District.)

All citizens are invited to the second this event. Facts, feelings, healing and education will be discussed.
It's 6:07 am according the computer clock, so I might be a little punchy, but I don't see any mention of the Governor Daugaard or Secretary of Education Melody Schopp.  I'm really disappointed.  I have spent the past two weeks writing up questions about why they continue to emphasize STEM at the expense of the rest of the curriculum.

Again, it's a little after 6 am and I don't have my coffee, but I don't know how to attend "to the second" this event.  Does that mean if I show up before or after 7:01 pm I won't get a dorr prize?

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that someone who doesn't live in Yankton will speak at the meeting tonight.  He'll say things like "I'm not saying that Yankton schools do this but many places do....." or some variation of that statement.  Every one of the statements will be designed to put the school district in the worst possible light and inflame the situation.

Facts will be in the background.  "Feelings" will dominate.  Some will have been coached to express "feelings" designed to anger opt out supporters and promote a confrontation.

If this had been a genuine effort, the Yankton School District would have participated.  If this had been a genuine effort, I suspect that Governor Daugaard would have dispatched his Lieutenant Governor Matt Michaels, a Yankton native, to attend, and his attendance would have been confirmed in the first announcement and covered in a front page article today.

I'm really torn.  Do I want to watch this meeting turn into a tragic circus or do I want to stay home and watch House?  Both are likely to have the same amount of genuine "facts, feelings, healing, and education."

Now that I've had coffee, I will place one small bet.  Nothing at tonight's meeting will "heal" the situation for teachers who have lost their jobs.

5 comments:

caheidelberger said...

Feelings and healing? I think someone's preparing to substitute catchy rhyme with solid policy discussion. Bring your video camera!

yanktonirishred said...

It's about to get ugly in our little town by the river.

Shane

yanktonirishred said...

did you go?

LK said...

No, I thought it best to avoid the bait.

yanktonirishred said...

That was my feeling as well. My inside source tells me 39 people were there and it was chaired by Rick Althoff ( the actual quote is "laughable the way Rick Althoff handled it!)