Wednesday, August 27, 2014

My Father Should Have Been A Campaign Consultant, Part 1

I want political competition in South Dakota. The natural laws that govern the gaining and use of power remain the same as they were when Madison warned about power's coercive effects in The Federalist Papers. The Republican monopoly on the governor's office and most constitutional offices will, if left unchallenged, develop into a political cancer.

I was in high school 40 years ago when Nixon resigned. If I recall correctly, I was helping my father install a hoist on a truck when President Ford was sworn in. We listened to the ceremony on an old transistor radio.

I don't remember if may father said anything about the events, but I'm sure he expressed something in the form of an aphorism or biblical allusion. It was his way. When I was a young man, I found my father's aphorisms rather tiresome. I was a kid. Now, I find they contained wisdom that serve me well and would serve South Dakota candidates well.

For example, he would say, "when you're in the basement, stop digging holes." Angelia Schultz could listen to that advice. She already has a reputation for not returning press phone calls. She is continuing that behavior to the degree that Pat Powers believes he can crow about it.

More importantly, my father repeatedly told me, "it's far better to have people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." I'll listen to anyone willing to discuss NSA abuses. People talking about the government using robotic bees on the other hand should heed my father's advice.

No comments: