Saturday, June 14, 2014

Kansas City Nationals Playlist

Later tonight, some of the young'uns and I will be going to Kansas City, Kansas to participate in the National Speech and Debate Association National Tournament.. I believe it would be impolite if I were to carry around Thomas Frank's What's the Matter with Kansas, so I decided to pick out a little road trip music with Kansas or Kansas City connections.

Eagles guitar player Joe Walsh is a Kansas native. The guitar solo on "Hotel California" is still one of the best I've ever .



Yeah, it's cheap but Kerry Livgren, the lead singer for Kansas is actually from Kansas. Besides, Mother Plainsman prays for peace for her wayward son every night.



Martina McBride is a Kansas native. Although this song is not one of her country classics, most debaters have "Suspicious Minds."


Jennifer Knapp recorded an album entitled Kansas. This is one of my favorite songs from that album.


3 comments:

M Larson said...

Where is the music from the band Kansas?

Also, try Kansas City by Jimmy Witherspoon for some good blues music.

Kansas City Railroad Blues by the Nashville Bluegrass Band.

One O'Clock Jump by Count Basie (Kansas is where he was based when he wrote the song.)

Mike Larson said...

*Skipped right over the Carry On song. Good luck this week in Kansas!

Kal Lis said...

I tried to keep the playlist to 4 or 5 so it doesn't take too long to load.

You're right I should have added a jazz or blues song, but researching Ukraine and digital surveillance left little time to research Kansas based blues musicians.

It was a decent week,although I need to find a decent app to blog on tablet. I have yet to find one that works well.