Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Few Observations About Jason Ravnsborg

Observation 1: I don't get out much, but I know a few people. Some of the people I know actually do know rather important folk. I have yet to meet any local who claims to know Ravnsborg. Heck,I even asked the nice woman who cuts my hair about him. She was able to tell me about the blood moon theory long before I read about it on Howie's blog, but she had heard nothing about Ravnsborg. It seems curious that a person would run for statewide office if he's relatively unknown locally.

Observation 2: With "borg" as part of his name, he's probably not going to get the totally unimportant Star Trek: The Next Generation fan boy vote. (I never said that all of these observations would be serious.)

Observation 3: He probably never planned to win this race. He likely views this race as an opportunity to introduce voters to his boyish good looks, his military service, and his ability to mimic Paul Ryan's pseudo seriousness.

Observation 4: This Pat Powers paraphrase indicates that he has watched and learned from Bull Durham:
As he was sending it over, I had a nice chat with the candidate, and Jason noted that he didn’t get into the race to chase big money, but to bring forth ideas.As he was sending it over, I had a nice chat with the candidate, and Jason noted that he didn’t get into the race to chase big money, but to bring forth ideas.



Mouthing phrases about the power of ideas has to be one the earliest and biggest political cliches. Has a candidate ever admitted he or she was in it for the money?

Observation 5: Ravnsborg is a cautious and disciplined sort. In a race that features Stace Nelson's bombast, the Annette Bosworth debacle, and Mike Rounds exhibiting an Teflon sports coat that gives him an air of inevitability, Ravnsborg had the chance to take few political risks and, if they failed, have them be forgiven as rookie mistakes. He seems content, however, to play it safe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He seems like a very nice young man. I have concerns though about rumors that he was recruited by Rounds' supporters to weaken the anti-Rounds vote.

Anonymous said...

I like Ravnsborg more and more as I had the opportunity to meet him on the campaign trail recently. He seems sincere, honest, is actually talking about the issues which I like and taking a few hits at Rounds without being over the top.

Every candidate has been a Rounds plant by the Stace Nelson campaign, those that entered before and after Stace; which makes no sense.

So I asked Ravnsborg directly and he laughed and said no he was not a plant and said his best friend in law school helped run Steve Kirby's campaign.

Kal Lis said...

I seriously doubt he's a Rounds plant. I think he's a young gunner who is using this campaign to introduce himself to voters.