Sunday, January 12, 2014

Excessive Poltical Cynicism On A Sunday

It's Sunday morning; in fact, it's the it's the First Sunday of Epiphany, so I should feel more generous, but I am having trouble finding my rose-colored glasses. In fact, I am relishing wearing thorn-rimmed spectacles.

I'd like to blame Chris Christie, but it's the reactions to Christie's traffic jam or the tone of this coverage really has my cynicism rising. (I suppose I could say the same about coverage of and reactions to South Dakota's EB 5 imbroglio.)

Caution: Shakespeare quotation and cliched expressions follow.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a major contemporary politician who is not like Shakespeare's Macbeth:  
. . . Luxurious, avaricious, false, deceitful,Sudden, malicious, smacking of every sinThat has a name. [Macbeth Act IV sc iii]
I know I'm supposed to believe that politicians are public servants out to serve the public good and forget that the political lexicon defines public good as rewarding political allies and metaphorically cutting the throats of political foes. If one is capable of that cognitive dissonance, I suppose one can be shocked that Christie or someone in his inner circle shut down a bridge to send a political message or that many Republicans are allowing Christie to twist in the wind or that others are wondering why the scandal of their choice--Benghazi, IRS targeting of political groups, NSA spying-- is not getting equal coverage.

This morning, I'm just angry that I'm asked to believe that this action isn't business as usual. I'm angry that I'm being asked to believe that the mayors of every large city, or every governor, or our current President gained office without metaphorically stabbing a few political foes in his or her party in the back or without trying to turn political opponents in the other party into political road kill.

No comments: