Monday, September 16, 2013

Irony Alert: I'm Going To Say Government Is Stupid And Inefficient And Conservatives Will Disagree With Me

I am in the process of gathering the documents necessary to renew my driver licence.  I'm so old I can remember when the documents were called driver's licences.

The fact that I am alive is insufficient for the state of South Dakota to believe I was born, so I had to obtain a copy of my birth certificate. In fairness, the state of South Dakota wants to be sure I am a legal resident who is not a terrorist. Apparently I might have been not have been the former but a member of a group who supports the latter the previous times the state issued me a license.

In order to get a copy of my birth certificate, I had to provide a copy of--and I'll bet no can guess what's going to come next--my driver license. So, to a get a driver license, I need a copy of a birth certificate. To obtain a driver license, I need a copy of a birth certificate. I believe that's called a catch-22 or a cluster . . . .

One more time--the old driver license isn't good enough to show a state bureaucrat that I am a legal resident, but it is enough evidence for another state bureaucrat to give me a birth certificate. Of course logic is not a necessary tool in the war on terror. Waging war on an emotion is an illogic all its own.

I guess it's a good thing that no one's worried I'm going to try to vote. I can't imagine the paperwork they'll devise for that


No comments: