Thursday, August 22, 2013

Obama Blamed For Things That Happened Three Years Before He Took Office

I meant to get to this item yesterday, but forgot even though I find these poll results hysterical.

I didn't vote for President Obama in 2012. I thought his drone use and his civil liberties record was flawed even before the recent NSA revelations. I tend to hold Presidents responsible for their actions in office. Apparently, Republicans in Louisiana have high expectations for junior United State Senators from Illinois:
A significant chunk of Louisiana Republicans evidently believe that President Barack Obama is to blame for the poor response to the hurricane that ravaged their state more than three years before he took office.
The latest survey from Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling, provided exclusively to TPM, showed an eye-popping divide among Republicans in the Bayou State when it comes to accountability for the government's post-Katrina blunders.
Twenty-eight percent said they think former President George W. Bush, who was in office at the time, was more responsible for the poor federal response while 29 percent said Obama, who was still a freshman U.S. Senator when the storm battered the Gulf Coast in 2005, was more responsible. Nearly half of Louisiana Republicans — 44 percent — said they aren't sure who to blame.
Seventy-four percent of Louisiana Republicans think Obama should be blamed for something that happened three years before he was sworn in. I wonder if failure to respond to Katrina before he took office will be one of the articles of impeachment.

5 comments:

M Larson said...

This is the type of cognitive dissonance or just pure hatred that gets me shaking my head every time. The complaint was that all Obama and Democrats would do is blame Bush for the economy, but he was actually there during that time period.

Kal Lis said...

Absolutely right.

Bush took us to war under false pretenses, joked about it, and ran the war off the books to make it appear as if the deficit wasn't as large as it really was. I didn't hear impeachment talk then.

I didn't vote for Obama and am really upset about the NSA stuff, but that happened on his watch. Katrina was nearly 4 years before he took office. If one wants to condemn Obama, one should blame him for things he actually did.

Ken Santema said...

I saw this story yesterday and had to do a double-take. I was honestly hoping it was some sort of satire (thought I knew it wasn't).

As you say there is plenty to be disappointed with in Obama (whether voted for him or not). But pushing Katrina on him? It makes me think there is a true hatred from people that are blinding basic critical thinking skills.

But to be fair (or unfair), I see stuff like this from the left directed at Bush. Both sides really need to step back and remove their pure hatred. (yes, I blog and tweet against people like Obama/Bush, but have no hate for them).

PNR said...

This has been going on with every president I've paid attention to (Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and now Obama).

It is disingenuous to pretend this is purely a conservative or Republican tactic. All sides try to blame the other when something goes wrong (Katrina, anyone?) and take credit when something goes right ("Clinton" economic boom?), whether they had anything to do with it or not.

How many Democrats also voted for the legislation that gave the NSA authority to do this kind of thing - assuming the law does in fact give them that authority, a question very much in doubt. And if it does not, then this is a problem of lawbreaking by NSA rather than a problem with the Patriot Act as such.

Kal Lis said...

PNR,

I don't want to get into a urination competition about who's followed politics longer. I have a good memory of the Presidents you mention. I was helping my father install a hoist on an old farm truck while I listened to Ford being sworn in.

This situation may not differ in kind but it certainly differs in degree.

If memory serves, Bush I was victim of a slow recovery that began in July or August before the November election. Clinton got credit for it even though his policies did little to change the country's economy.

That, however, was a time difference of 2 or 3 months. Further, one section of the country may have been experiencing a lagging recovery. That recession took months if not years to play out.

In this situation, Katrina took place in 2005. Obama took office in 2009. Katrina took place over a week. The lousy efforts to help New Orleans residents took a few months.

I won't deny that Bush II Derangement Syndrome existed. No one, however, blamed him for Lewinsky's blue dress.