Monday, July 22, 2013

The Zimmerman Case As Political Barometer

Nate Cohn makes a strong case that how one reacts to the George Zimmerman verdict closely aligns to how one voted in the last Presidential election. Conceding that the results are less partisan than the election results, Cohn contends
Compare today's poll on the Zimmerman verdict with Pew's final poll of the 2012 presidential campaign. When it comes to the national result, race, gender, and age, the differences between the presidential race and the Zimmerman trial are negligible and largely within the margin of error.
Cohn provides this helpful table



For what it's worth, Cohn's analysis squares with my my Twitter time line. Conservatives I follow are satisfied with the verdict and tended to side with Zimmerman. Democrats tend to want a Justice Department pursue the case.

3 comments:

Troy Jones said...

I wasn't there when this tragedy happened. I wasn't on the jury to hear the evidence. Why should I have an opinion? Shouldn't my implulse to be satisfied with a decision of my peers in court?

I guess it is no longer about the rule of law but the rule of ideology.

Kal Lis said...

I made a concentrated effort to avoid this case when the trial was going on. I find the reactions after the verdict to be fascinating sociological theater.

I don't know what to make of the results, so I posted without any real comment.

At first blush, it seems to provide more evidence that the US is continuing to become a nation that has its citizens widely divided by ideology.

It's tough to come to agreement on anything when the starting point also determines the destination.

Troy Jones said...

Most profound is your last sentence. Sums up alot.

Do juries make mistakes? Yes. But, in the end, everything falls apart if we think they don't get it right most of the time.

As you know, my heart is broken for Trayvon's parents. I wish Zimmerman had stayed home that night and watched EWTN or ESPN. That happened is a tragedy.

But, the system said he was not guilty. Unless we want a different system (trial by who? Vote of the community? State? Nation?), we just have to accept it perfect or imperfect.