Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Good News: Hickey To Introduce Bill To Repeal Death Penalty In South Dakota

After my week in the South, I'm catching up on South Dakota blog reading. The best reading to date is South Dakota legislator Representative/Reverend Steve Hickey's announcement he will introduce a bill to repeal the death penalty in South Dakota.

I've long opposed the death penalty because humans are fallible. If a jury convicts an innocent person who is sent to prison, there are ways to compensate that person for time, pain, and suffering. There's no way to return someone to life.

Additionally, I have yet to see a consistent explanation of why giving the state the power to kill doesn't convey upon it the power to take away every other natural right at a whim. Further, there's little evidence of a deterrence.

I doubt the bill will pass this session, but I hope that it will begin a debate that will end the death penalty  in South Dakota within a decade.

No comments: