Thursday, June 6, 2013

Common Core Tests May Take Up To 10 Hours (Updated)

From this Diane Ravitch post:
Catherine Gewertz reports in Education Week that the new Common Core tests created by the PARCC consortium of states will require up to ten hours, depending on grade level.Here is the projection:
“The amount of time students will have to complete both the performance-based and end-of-year components in math and English/language arts:
Grade 3: 8 hoursGrades 4-5: 9 hours, 20 minutesGrades 6-8: 9 hours, 25 minutes 
Grades 9-10: 9 hours, 45 minutesGrades 
11-12: 9 hours, 55 minutes”
I do remember my previous discussion with Josh Verges, so I know that South Dakota is part of the Smarter Balance consortium not the PARCC consortium.  I also believe Emerson was correct when he asserts that bureaucracies prefer conformity to any other quality. I can confidently predict South Dakota's test will approximate these times.**

Locally, we allocated about 8 hours to finish the Dakota STEP test last year, but 2 hours were used for a science component. These tests will add 3 hours to the language arts and math tests plus whatever science and social science elements that will be added eventually.

**Update: I'm getting really sloppy about reading education articles. In the comments, Josh Verges points out the Education Week article Ravitch links to lists 7 to 8.5 hours for math and language arts. I missed it on first reading.

4 comments:

@ua14 said...

The story you link to says 7 to 8.5 hours for Smarter Balanced.

Kal Lis said...

I think I am going to quit blogging about tests. I skimmed the link Ravitch posts and missed the Smarter Balance reference. Update to follow.

M Larson said...

Have you taken the practice test? I nearly wanted to gouge my eyes out during the "listening" portion of the test.

http://sbac.portal.airast.org/Practice_Test/default.html

M Larson said...

You were right in your estimations and not Josh. http://leftinsd.blogspot.com