Monday, April 1, 2013

A Statistic To Show Why I'm Politically Displaced

I pointed to David Montgomery's look at this University of Minnesota study earlier. The study provided few surprises. This number, however, seems shocking:
And woe to the Democratic candidates for Auditor and Treasurer, who have won less than 10 percent of the time. Democrats haven’t elected an Auditor since 1958, their longest drought.
In South Dakota, I always vote for the Democratic candidate for auditor. Republicans have always dominated the state since I've lived here. If South Dakota were a blue state, I'd vote for the Republican.

It seems like a common sense situation to have an auditor who is not a member of the dominant political party. If it is a necessary check, South Dakota last had it in place in the 1970s when Democrat Dick Kneip was governor.

No comments: