Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Minor Musing About Parent/Teachers' Conferences

I had 21 parents visit me last night. Their students had a combined GPA of 3.4 in my classes. Four of the students earned Cs; five earned Bs; twelve earned As. I have concerns about two who I believe were were not working to the best of their ability.

I expect another 20 or 30 parents to visit me during another round of conferences later this week. The GPA of their students will be similar to the GPA of the students whose parents visited me last night. I will see the parents of 2 or 3 more underperforming students

I know correlation doesn't equal causation, but those numbers have held true for the past 15 years. I'm not going to argue that schools do not have to improve. I'm going to point out that most successful students have help at home that many struggling students don't have. I'm also going to contend Common Core or whatever the reform de jour will be next year is not going to help struggling students who don't have parental support catch up with successful students who do.

No comments: