Monday, December 31, 2012

Why Common Core Standards Concern Me: A Weather Analogy

For those who skipped the post's title, what follows is an analogy.

The Common Core emphasizes non-fiction, so students should be able to read nonfiction like the following tidbits from the Weather Channel.


The Core's strongest advocates might want students to understand classic literary references to weather or seasons like the following song. They'd probably love this Sinatra version has the benefit of a spelling lesson, but they might bemoan the fact that it's too romantic.


The Core's proponents seemingly don't understand that facts, classics and spelling lessons may not make the point as well as a simple regional story told well. What follows may be hyperbolic, but it combines the realism of a weather report with the literary elements of the more popular song. If it were literature being taught in an English class, it's the type of work that the Core would force teachers to cut so that the teacher could have students read the weather report.


2 comments:

Ken Santema said...

I haven't looked into the whole common core standards very much. I just realized the reading slips I sign for my 2nd grader has the choice of "fiction" or "non-fiction". Since almost everything he reads is fiction it didn't occur to me it really mattered. Next time I see his teacher I'll ask her about it. I don't know how I would handle making him read non-fiction. He loves to read, as long as the story is a cool fiction story. Non-fiction just has no interest for him...

LK said...

I'm coming at this from a high school perspective.

I haven't read too much about the elementary standards but I think they have at least a 50/50 split.