Friday, September 7, 2012

How Do People Work At Work? Updated With Answers

Yeah, it's not one of the regular politics/eduction/pop culture/philosophy without a license posts. but a bit of variety never hurt. Heck, it might help me learn something.

Lifehacker has been running a weekly series that has their editors asking their "favorite writers and productivity hounds how they work, from the software and web sites they use daily to the PDA/personal organizer/system they use to keep organized." The specific questions include,
What apps/software/tools can't you live without?
What your workspace like?
What's your favorite to-do list manager?
What's your best time-saving trick?\
What do you listen to while you work?
What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?
What's the best advice you've ever received?
I'd like to read the answers that teachers and other non-tech gurus about their tips and tricks to stay organized, so leave your answers in the comments. I'll post my answers after this weekend's SCASD/SDFCA convention,

Update: My Answers

1. I can live without the Smart Board, but the projector to show YouTube videos, news articles, snippets of students' writing, or some stupid cartoon is something that I would hate to lose. Speaking of YouTube videos, the YouTube downloader is a necessity because the school blocks YouTube.

As a debate coach, I have to put in a plug for Joy of Tournaments online registration and tab room software that keeps saves me scores of hours each debate season.

I'll also cop out and list the cell phone which is a digital Leatherman that does nearly everything I need to outside the classroom.

2. I was a proud piles person. I could find everything until last year. This year is only 3 weeks old, but I've successfully kept the desk clean and ordered. I have set up a small two-desk fort in my room; one desk has an inbox, files for make-up work, an old pottery project that some student abandoned to hold staplers, scissors, tape, and other office supplies that students always need. The other has a phone that the office demands that I have and a desktop computer.

3. I need pen and paper. I can do the calendar on the smartphone, but my planning projects and keeping track of everything works better on paper. I suppose I should have added a Space Pen Bullet as technology that I can't live without.

4. I have to turn off the TV to save time. It's the biggest time suck in my life.

5. At school, I don't have anything on. During the summer, I listen to a lot of sports talk radio. My current music fix seems to be tighter vocal harmonies like Mumford and Sons or Little Big Town. I'm also enjoying Joan Osborne's recent blues album, Bring It On Home.

5. I think I make connections between dissimilar things or concepts well. I adapt to technology well for an old man.

6. The best advice I ever received is "it's far better to have people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." I wish that I followed it more.






2 comments:

sampeil said...

What apps/software/tools can't you live without?

I would reluctantly adjust to life without Outlook, SharePoint, Ning, Goodreads, TED, and SD Titles to Go.



What your workspace like?

I have the messy-but-I-know-where-everything-is-I-swear version.



What's your favorite to-do list manager?

Outlook calendar synched with phone and course SharePoint calendars



What's your best time-saving trick?

Grades go online. No paper grade book. Same with lesson plans.



What do you listen to while you work?

Loud music! MB20, AAR, Blink 182, P!nk, YouTube orchestra, Pirates of the Caribbean theme, Gotye



What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?

Handling technology.



What's the best advice you've ever received?

Plan like a turtle; paint like a hare.

LK said...

Thanks for stopping by.

Agree about electronic gradebook.

Love the advice as well.