Monday, August 6, 2012

Quotation Of The Day: Capitalism, Democracy And An Essay Question Edition

As part of my effort to get ready for a new school year, I thought I'd knock the rust off my essay question writing.  This report makes the following observations:
We live in a representative democracy with a capitalist economy. This means that we hold different values dear in the economic and political spheres.
The authors posit the following conclusion:
In short, democracy must write the rules for capitalism, not the other way around.
 In what ways are the observation and conclusion valid or invalid? Give concrete examples from the United States that illustrate either validity or invalidity. If the conclusion is invalid, explain why capitalism should write the rules for democracy.

1 comment:

caheidelberger said...

Heck of a question! As the core of my essay response, I would argue that the economy exists to serve the community, not the other way around.