Monday, May 28, 2012

I Let A Guy From The Religious Right Get Under My Skin

When I read Cory's post about a tea party PAC sending out pink flyers accusing Republican state senate candidate Gene Abdallah of "voting to give graphic sexual materials to children at school," I was unfazed.  Similar flyers get sent out during every election, and I had not had my coffee. After all the flyers weren't lilac, and they didn't accuse Abdallah's spouse being an active thespian.

Besides Conor Friedersdorf has recently pointed out that many on the far right "persist in believing, without apparent evidence, that there is a strategic benefit to allying with Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Rep. Allen West, and others on the right who accuse their political opponents of being demonic, treasonous, moronic Communist sluts. . .,"  so I also felt a bit of relief.  According to the excerpts Cory published, Abdullah apparently has not sold his soul to the Devil, and he possesses, at the very least, average intelligence.

In the comments, however, self-alleged Christian conservative Ed Randazzo writes,
And I thought you liberals were all about tolerance and free speech. If you’re gonna climb in the ring you better be able to take a few punches.
In the original post, Cory ably demonstrates that flyer is at best an obfuscation, at worst a lie.  In the comments, Troy Jones adds credence to Cory's analysis.

Those who want to skip over my Bible-banging can jump down 4 paragraphs.

First, this reminder keeps me running to the mirror to make sure I don't have any logs in my eye while I'm looking for mote:
Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ (Matthew 7:22-23)
For the situation at hand, Exodus 20:16 has a useful reminder:  "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour"

Also, there's this passage in I Corinthians 10:
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.
It's doubtful one seeks to edify another when one accuses someone of allowing "classroom instruction with . . . graphic and detailed sexual materials."

As far as being conservative, Michael Fumento, a person who worked for Ronald Reagan and wrote for Bill Buckley, recently wrote:
As a conservative, I disagree with the political opinions of liberals. But to me, a verbal assault indicates insecurity and weakness on the part of the assaulter, as in “Is that the best they can do?” This playground bullying – the name-calling, the screaming, the horrible accusations – all are intended to stifle debate, the very lifeblood of a democracy.
He goes on to point out:
Incivility is hardly the domain of the new right. American society grows ever coarser. But this is cold comfort. Conservative ideology demands civility of conservatives; demands, yes, self-policing. Let others act as they will, bearing evidence of the shallowness of their positions. It also demands respect for official offices, such as the presidency. When our guy is in office, you give him that modicum of respect – and when your guy is in office, we do the same. The other party is to be referred to as “the loyal opposition,” not with words the FCC forbids on the air.
In short, he pink flyer, while it may contain a few punches, is neither Christian nor conservative.

I don't know if Ed will get over here to read this.  He is "a nationally syndicated author" and "has been a conservative activist and consultant for over 30 years,"  so he's probably really busy.  If he does and decides to respond, I hope he doesn't resort to "the Devil can cite scripture for his own purpose"; a person with his qualifications should be able to be more original.  Besides, the words come from Shakespeare not the Bible.

I also hope he honestly says he's part of the religious right;  that term is far more accurate than Christian conservative.

Finally, if he does accuse me of being "demonic, treasonous, moronic Communist" or liberal, New Age, freedom hating, he should add "slut."  If he does, my wife will giggle and I love hearing her laugh.

4 comments:

David Newquist said...

And South Dakota law states: Every person is obligated to refrain from infringing upon the right of others not to be defamed.

So much for law.

Anonymous said...

Randazzhat! Ha I love it! More like Randazzhole!

Troy jones said...

Whenever one meets one who calls himself a Christian should see Christ.

I don't think a raving lunatic willing to misrepresent another is a good reflection.

LK said...

Dr. Newquist and Troy,

Thanks for the insights and reminders.

I had not thought about the legal aspect at all.

I struggle, often unsuccessfully, to practice what I preach.