Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Minor Musing: Is Being A Teacher Immoral?

My little rant about education reformers seemingly wanting students to fail elicited the follwing tweeted response.
I replied to the what's worse than a lemming query with James 4:17.
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
I was being a bit glib, but upon further review, as the National Football League's referees say, my response leads me to believe that I have put myself in an uncomfortable moral position.

I know I should do good, but many of the current trends in education strike me as wrong as in "unjust," "dishonest," or "immoral."  I'd feel a little less conflicted if I thought these reforms were merely "mistaken" "unsuitable," or "undesirable."  To the best of my ability, I close the door and teach but there is still some good being left undone.  Mama and Papa Plainsman always warned me about the wages of sin.

While I wonder about the morality or propriety of staying in the profession, I have to confront the fact that the national employment rate is still over 8%; I'm on the wrong side of 50;  I have family responsibilities that require a paycheck, and it would probably be immoral for me to take risks that would make me a burden to my family or put them at financial risk.

I knew I should have learned to play the piano; I hear houses of ill repute are hiring piano players.

1 comment:

D.E. Bishop said...

Try this one, from Matthew 7:

"15 ‘Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? 17In the same way, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus you will know them by their fruits."

I use it for any discernment I need to do. I try to pay less attention to their words, and more to their actions, past, present and whatever they say about their future actions.