Sunday, April 15, 2012

It Seems Paranoia Makes People Ideological and Stupid

I was busy over the weekend so I missed this little bit of craziness.  Had I found the Allen* West piece sooner, I would have added it to this post about being ideological and stupid.

Sixty years ago, Joe McCarthy claimed to have the numbers of Communists seeking to destroy American from within:
"I have here in my hand a list of two hundred and five [people] that were known to the Secretary of State as being members of the Communist Party and who nevertheless are still working and shaping the policy of the State Department."
Then there was Michele Bachmann, who found people holding un-American ideas in Congress.  The State Department was being run by members of her party at the time.


She wasn't a purist; however, she didn't offer a number.  Allen* West apparently has done what the media apparently did not.  He has investigated and knows how many members of Congress are un-American Marxists.


I suspect both West and Bachmann have used paraphrased this McCarthy line more often than they have found a true Communist in Congress.
"You are seeing today an all out attempt to marshal the forces of the opposition, using not merely the communists, or their fellow travelers-the deluded liberals, the eggheads, and some of my good friends in both the Democratic and Republican Parties who can become heros over night in the eyes of the left-wing press if they will just join with the jackal pack"
*I was apparently trying too hard to make a connection between McCarthy and West.  The original version of the post identified Allen West as Joe West



No comments: