Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Post For All The Comment Spammers Who Tell Me To Get A Facebook Link

I am a Facebook conscientious objector, a term I stole from Laurel, a former student. It turns out that I am not alone. According to this Jenna Worthman NYT article,

As Facebook prepares for a much-anticipated public offering, the company is eager to show off its momentum by building on its huge membership: more than 800 million active users around the world, Facebook says, and roughly 200 million in the United States, or two-thirds of the population.
But the company is running into a roadblock in this country. Some people, even on the younger end of the age spectrum, just refuse to participate, including people who have given it a try.
As a contrarian I welcome the fact that people get a little hot and bothered when I say I don't want anything to do with the social networking giant. I will probably get to confuse and perhaps anger a few more folk. According to Worthman,
But the peer pressure is only going to increase. Susan Etlinger, an analyst at the Altimeter Group, said society was adopting new behaviors and expectations in response to the near-ubiquity of Facebook and other social networks.
At least I won't be depressing people. Facebook does that on its own. Worthman writes,
One of Facebook’s main selling points is that it builds closer ties among friends and colleagues. But some who steer clear of the site say it can have the opposite effect of making them feel more, not less, alienated.

“I wasn’t calling my friends anymore,” said Ashleigh Elser, 24, who is in graduate school in Charlottesville, Va. “I was just seeing their pictures and updates and felt like that was really connecting to them.”
This morning Andrew Sullivan points to this Dan Gulati post that points out that Facebook is making users miserable.
But this new world of ubiquitous connections has a dark side. In my last post, I noted that Facebook and social media are major contributors to career anxiety. After seeing some of the comments and reactions to the post, it's clear that Facebook in particular takes it a step further: It's actually making us miserable.
Gulati, who must have been an extempter in high school offers three reasons:
First, it's creating a den of comparison. . . .
Second, it's fragmenting our time. . . .
Last, there's a decline of close relationships . . .
Given these observations, it seems to me that I'm doing everyone a favor by refusing to join Facebook. My stubbornness means that I'm not making anyone else miserable.

1 comment:

larry kurtz said...

OMG: I so agree! FB is like a perpetual colonoscopy!