Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Minor Musings From A Road Trip

Last evening, I needed to take road trip that began shortly after 8 pm and ended around 2:45 am.  Since my passengers slept after midnight, I had a bit too much time to myself and had a few recollections and committed some bumper sticker philosophizing.

At some point I noted that during the early 1980s I met people who had the same beliefs as Tea Party members now hold.  The biggest difference between those people and the current Tea Partiers is tone and volume. I now hear pompous anger; in the 1980s, I heard sincerity and reflection.

I also came to the conclusion that it's more Biblical to start a home church than it's American to start a home school.

I wondered if more fundamentalist Christians would accept the arguments about climate change if they had been told that they were right when they claim God gave humans dominion over the whole world and sent humanity out to subdue it, but there's a huge difference between subduing and destroying.  We have reached the point where we are destroying.

Before she went to sleep, my wife mentioned  this NPR interview with Ryan Lizza, author of this New Yorker article about Michele Bachmann's rise to prominence.

During the interview, Lizza lists Francis Schaeffer, Nancy Pearcey, and John Eidsmoe  as authors who have influenced Bachmann.  I have not read anything by Pearcey or Eidsmoe, but I did read Francis Schaeffer's A Christian Manifesto in the early 1980s.  As Lizza points out, Schaeffer and Pearcey believe that Christian faith should dominate believer's lives and worldviews.
"Michele Bachmann has mentioned Pearcey's book [Total Truth] as one that was important to her," . . . . "[The book] is in line with the Schaeffer-ite view of taking your Christian faith and making sure that it permeates all parts of your life. The key thing here is Christians should not just be go-to-church-on-Sunday Christians. Their religion should permeate all aspects of life."
It's not too difficult develop that principle when the Bible contains injunctions like Romans 12: 1-2.
1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
The Bible says faith should affect philosophy.  It also says I should start losing lots of weight.  I can understand why Christians who believe in absolutes would take issue with ideas like these presented by Stanley Fish.  I have no clue why people who hold that view can ally themselves with Ayn Rand's followers.

No comments: