Sunday, June 12, 2011

Will Herman Cain, Rick Santorum, and Michele Bachmann Please Stop Dishonoring God!

The New York Magazine's "Daily Intel" reports that Herman Cain, Rick Santorum, and Michele Bachman all claim that God has told them to run for President. The article reports that Cain has heard the call at least twice, once by text.  Cain also claims that God cured his cancer so that Cain could run for President.
Cain told the crowd about his battle with cancer in 2006, saying he's been "totally cancer free" for the past five years.


"You want to know why? God said, 'Not yet Herman,'" Cain told the crowd. "God said, 'Not yet. I've got something else for you to do.' And it might be to become the president of the United States of America."
As for Santorum, his wife,
Karen Santorum told CBN's David Brody in May about her husband's decision to run for president, "It really boils down to God's will. What is it that God wants? ... We have prayed a lot about this decision, and we believe with all our hearts that this is what God wants."
Michele Bachmann
. . . told World Net Daily in 2009, she would never run without God's personal endorsement:
"If I felt that's what the Lord was calling me to do, I would do it," she answered. "When I have sensed that the Lord is calling me to do something, I've said yes to it. But I will not seek a higher office if God is not calling me to do it. That's really my standard.
"If I am called to serve in that realm I would serve," she concluded, "but if I am not called, I wouldn't do it."
Bachmann recently confirmed that she has, indeed, "had that calling and that tugging on my heart."
I'm not a theologian, but I have a difficult time understanding how the Being who created and sustains the universe that humans inhabit needs the help of a mere mortal to lead one nation on one small planet in one galaxy among millions of galaxies.  Further, claiming that God has called them to a higher purpose implies that they are uniquely blest because God has called them.  In a perverse way, each claims to deserve glory and power because God has said so.

David Platt in Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From The American Dream reminds readers that God has said that humans exist for God's glory.  God doesn't exist for their glory.  Platt quotes Ezekiel 36:22-24 (page 68).
‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: It is not for your sake, house of Israel, that I am going to do these things, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you have gone. I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Sovereign LORD, when I am proved holy through you before their eyes. 
Platt then goes on to assert, "We are not the end of the gospel: God is.  God centers on himself . . . ." (page 71).

Finally, and I admit I may be being cynical here, people who run for President seem to desire power and the use of that power.  Platt illustrates how Christianity illustrates a different view.
The gospel betokens us to die to ourselves and to believe in God and trust his power. . . .

As long as we achieve our desires in our own power, we will always attribute it to our own glory (46).
Cain, Santorum, and Bachmann have it backwards.  They are centering on themselves by claiming to have a divinely appointed to run for President of the United States.  In doing so, they make themselves laughingstocks and exhibit profound hubris.

No comments: