Monday, May 2, 2011

Poetry and Science Fiction

Who knew science fiction produced verse like this?  (HT IO9)

I especially love the last two lines of this poem.
1. Attack of the Crab Monsters by Lawrence Rabb
Lawrence Rabb wrote one of best scifi poems of all time based on, no fooling, a Roger Corman film. You can see the film - it's precisely what it sounds like - but the poem is a better use of time. It takes us on a tour of the usual silly monster-movie cliches such as a heroine who walks around in underwear, and explains how human consciousness is tranferred into a crab monster bodies before building up to a final emotional punch at the end.
And everyone is surprised
and no one understands
why each man tries to kill
the thing he loves, when the change
comes over him. So now you know
what I never found the time to say.
Sweetheart, put down your flamethrower.
You know I always loved you.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to say those last two lines to my wife one day.

No comments: