Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How Many Logical Fallacies Can You Find?

From Politico, Newt Gingrich offers an amazing bit of rhetoric.
"I have two grandchildren — Maggie is 11, Robert is 9," Gingrich said at Cornerstone Church here. "I am convinced that if we do not decisively win the struggle over the nature of America, by the time they're my age they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American."
For those who haven't thought about logical fallacies since high school or college, a list is here and here.

Leave your homework in comments.  Write in complete sentences.

The comment box here claims that Gingrich inadvertently forgot to say "or" before "potentially dominated by radical Islamists. . . " so noting that Islamists probably aren't atheists won't count.

2 comments:

caheidelberger said...

What is this "nature of America"? Mr. Gingrich's state implies that a secular atheist cannot understand what it means to be an American.

LK said...

I believe that is what he is saying.

I think he's on sound historical ground. Native Americans were pantheists, so America has always contained people who have seen Nature as a deity.

I think I just committed a logical fallacy, but I'm too busy being a smart aleck to notice