Monday, April 26, 2010

Weird Short Takes

Take 1:  I really don't know what to make of this headline Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking - Times Online.  I seriously doubt that anyone will be able to converse with beings who can traverse a galaxy. Humanity's survival may depend on whether we have a more virulent equivalent of smallpox than they do.

Take 2:  While teaching mythology today, it occurred to me that Tiger Woods, Ben Roethlisberger, Terrel Owens, and Donald Trump all seem to be characters like Achilles or Agamemnon.  The Wall Street Bankers remind me of the capricious gods who seemingly get pleasure from ruining humans' lives.  The bankers use derivatives and the gods used blind Fates, but the results still seem unnecessarily catastrophic.  I probably read too much into stuff.

Take 3:  Success manuals usually emphasize passion or charisma or originality, but I wonder if they ignore energy.  It seems to me that people can be successful if they're smart, hard working, or stubborn, but most successful people have a higher energy level than mere mortals who may have three or four of the other qualities..

Take 4:  I may have to revisit this little tidbit, but I think that it's really cool that Agatha Christie was as disorganized as I am.

Take 5:  Do Boobs Actually Cause Earthquakes?  The article is actually more bizarre than the headline.

No comments: