Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Summer Reading List

I should be correcting papers and cleaning my nest that is liberally feathered with the books and papers and comics.  In another life that nest was a love seat.  I decided to do something much more important; go through the stack of books on various to be read piles and pick twelve to read this summer.  A few are re-reads because I think that it's important to re-visit a few titles.  Here's the list:
  1. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
  2. April 1865:  The Month That Saved America by Jay Winik
  3. Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck
  4. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
  5. Where God Was Born: A Daring Adventure Through The Bible's Greatest Stories by Bruce Feiler
  6. 2666 by Roberto Bolano
  7. The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
  8. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
  9. Reason, Faith, and Revolution:  Reflections on the God Debate by Terry Eagleton
  10. The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony by Roberto Calasso
  11. The Question of God:  C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex and the Meaning of Life by Dr. Armand M. Nicholi Jr.
  12. Go Put Your Strengths to Work by Marcus Buckingham
That's the official hope to finish list.  I'll have a Grisham book and a graphic novel or two in my bag for down time when I'm at the NFL national debate tournament, but I won't count those.

I'm always looking for good reads.  Leave some suggestions in the comments.

No comments: