Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Question

I have read Stephen Covey's book and dozens of articles about David Allen's GTD.  Both methods have their strengths.  I think that I prefer roles to contexts; as a teacher, I have one work context, @classroom.

I wish one of these methods or any other method would explain how one can motivate oneself to do hated tasks.  If everything relies on will power, then any system is only as good as a user's will and his or her ability act on that will. More importantly, all systems are as weak as any person's will to do whatever it is that they don't want to do.  If that analysis is accurate, these guys their publishers, and the marketers of all their productivity gear are really ripping people off.

As a teacher, I wish that one of these systems would help teachers explain to students how to do work that they don't want to do.  A fellow teacher who was fortunate enough to retire about 10 years ago claimed that he had never worked a day in his life.  I feel as if I'm working every second of the day, and I think students feel the same way.  I'm old and afraid of starving or being homeless or not being able to help my kids pay for college, so I force myself to work.  I'm not sure that my students are ever afraid, so they need some other form of motivation.  (My wife will probably say that a method that doesn't rely on fear and its related stress might be more healthy as well.)

I'm not sure any answer exists.  If I find it, I'll write a book.

No comments: