Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Having Done Dinner With The Democrats, I Think I'll Lunch With The Libertarians

I am glad the Libertarians are holding a convention and fielding candidates. Bob Mercer chronicles the long list of Democrats withdrawing from legislative races.  PNR analyzes the South Dakota Democratic Party's health, and finds the party "on life support." He correctly concludes,
What happens to that [political] system when there is no competition, no conflict?  I don't know for sure, but it won't be good.
If the Democrats can't field a full slate of candidates in the legislative or statewide races, it's good for the state that another party is at least making an effort, even if it turns out to be a meager one, to create a few races on the statewide level.

In an effort to see what the Libertarians have to offer, I plan to stick my copy of Robert Nozick's classic Anarchy, State, and Utopia in a backpack, travel to Sioux Falls on Saturday, and sit in the back of the room to see how they deal with the Haber/Bosworth/Stranahan machinations and to get a feel for their candidates.

I don't know if I'll live blog the day or just wait to do a summary post or two. I do plan to send out some tweets. I am looking forward to the event. Even though the issue has little to do with statewide races, I'm fairly certain I'll agree with nearly everything Libertarians say about evils of the national security state and the need to rein it in.

3 comments:

caheidelberger said...

Any chance you'll pay the $30 and participate as a voting member?

Kal Lis said...

I'm a registered Independent so I don't think it would be a conflict of interest.

My wife reads the blog so I don't want to discuss how I may or may not spend $30.

Kurt Evans said...

Your help would be appreciated. :)