Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Let's Stop Playing What's The Politician's Faith?

Via Madville, I see that Reverend Hickey unable to "detect" any "evidence" of President Obama's "Christian faith." I have no idea whether Reverend Hickey claims to possess the gift of discernment or how one discerns the sincerity of the faith of a politician one has never met.

I can remember more than a few good Christian folk who were upset that Jimmy Carter lusted in his heart and had an evening glass of scotch even though he taught Sunday school. Many of those same folks loved Ronald Reagan who rarely darkened a church door.

Bill Clinton broke both the adultery and false witness commandments. The second Bush took the nation to war under dubious pretenses. Obama is far from perfect, but I haven't seen any evidence of his committing similar, shall we agree to call them, errors.

I didn't vote for Obama in 2012; I haven't been satisfied with a President since Eisenhower, and I was three when he left office. I'm, therefore, not going to trust my personal memory on his second term.

From my displaced point of view, it seems that one's view of a public figure's faith is colored not by the public figure's faith and works but by beholder's political views.

When I was a young'un my mother used to read me the story of Samuel coming to Jesse to anoint one of Jesse's sons the new king of Israel. That son was the future King David who at the time was a runty, ruddy youth. The key verse of the story was I Samuel 16:7
But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.
I'm fairly certain that no human can can see another's heart. Perhaps, it would serve us all to refrain from commenting on the faith of public figures be they Presidents, U.S. Senators, or Popes. Those comments reveal more about the speaker than the public figure, and they rarely reflect well on the speaker.

No comments: