Friday, May 10, 2013

Plains Pops: Pop Culture Potpourri Edition

1. Justin Bieber has united America. According to PPP polling, Democrats, Republicans, and Independents have an unfavorable view of him:
Bieber was the only artist whose unfavorability rating stretched across partisan lines – a majority of Democrats (23-54), Republicans (17-52), and independents (18-56) all
reported negative views of the singer.
2. Susan Cain, author of Quiet, a book that's given solace to many introverts, discusses daily habits and daily writing:
What is a distinctive habit or affectation of yours?I never go a day without dark chocolate.
What do you need to have produced/completed in order to feel that you’ve had a productive writing day?I notice that most writers have quotas of some number of words per day. I envy this approach, because it seems so clean, but it has never worked for me. I often spend an entire day editing, restructuring a narrative, or researching. There are no new words on the paper, but it’s still progress. I think. It might also be a really elaborate way of procrastinating.[emphasis in original] 
3. At last week's Free Comic Day, I picked up the 4 graphic novel compilations of Planetary. It is an excellent comic book series. I've finished the first and second graphic novels and am really sorry that I waited so long to get to it.

4. Speaking of comic books, some political commentators have a little too much geek time on their hands: there's a Green Lantern theory of power. This blogger surmises that Cyclops, Batman, Spawn, The Tick and Rorschach all deserve to have a theory of power named after them.


No comments: