Monday, May 20, 2013

Let's Open This Post With Prayer, Or Not

Roaming around the Interwebs, I came across the fact that the Supreme Court will take up the practice of prayer at public meetings. The case involves the town of Greece, New York. According to SCOTUSblog,
Returning for the first time in three decades to the constitutionality of saying prayers at the opening of a government meeting, the Supreme Court on Monday took on a case involving Town Board sessions in the upstate New York community named Greece, a city of about 100,000 people.  For years, it followed the practice of having local clergy — mostly leaders of Christian congregations — recite prayers to start Town Board public meetings.
Because this situation sounds similar to the one in Rapid City, the decision may have implications in South Dakota. SCOTUSblog points out that the the Court may decide to rule narrowly, however:
The Supreme Court’s agreement to review the decision might be interpreted as an indication that the Justices could be preparing to make a major pronouncement on religion in the public sphere, but it also might be understood as an intent to focus solely on the specific facts of the practice as it unfolded in this one community.
One thing is certain, there will be much screaming, shouting, fist shaking, weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth about the decision before and after the fact:
As the case develops, though, it almost certainly will draw wide interest from advocacy organizations and religious entities, if for no other reason than the Court has not examined the specific question in some thirty years.
Given that everyone will hyperventilate about this case sooner or later, I think I'll try to make it sooner. My previous post had baseball allusions and I'm currently watching the Twins lose to the Braves, it seems fitting to conclude let Annie Savoy from Bull Durham conclude this post:
I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring...

No comments: