Friday, May 31, 2013

Fridays Aren't Safe Days To Visit The Doctor?

I have to take the cat to the vet in about thirty minutes. He licks his paw until it's an open wound. I'm guessing living with me has finally driven him over the edge.

I'm grateful the cat is not scheduled for surgery, but I still hope vets are better doctors on Friday than human MDs. Via Andrew Sullivan:
Britons who have a planned surgery on a Friday are 44 percent more likely to die. And the few patients who had a leisurely weekend surgery saw that number jump to 82 percent. The skeleton staff working on weekends might be to blame.
and
similar study conducted in American Veterans Affairs hospitals found that the odds of a patient dying in the 30 days following surgery jumped when the surgery happened on Friday.
Kevin Drum adds some analysis here

No comments: