Saturday, August 18, 2012

Comic Book Characters And Religion

The fine folks as Adherents.com must have far more time than I do. They have taken the time to catalog the various faiths held by comic book heroes. Not only do they provide a handy chart, they also group heroes into faith teams.

Should I ever decide to switch universes, I find it comforting that my Catholic wife will be well protected by The Hulk, Daredevil, Hellboy, and a host of other formidable super-powered folk. I can call on the services of Rogue, Ghost Rider, and Falcon. As a mythology teacher, I would hope that Hawkman and other followers of the classical Egyptians, Thor and the rest of the Norse pagans, along with Wonder Woman Namor, and rest of the Greco-Roman classical religion adherents would also offer assistance.

Atheists can call on Savage Dragon, Starman, and Yellowjacket. Lutherans, South Dakota's largest protestant group, don't fair so well in the comic book multiverses; they can call on only four minor-league characters. That's a much less impressive group than the small but powerful Roma representation that includes Magneto, Dr. Doom, and Nightwing.

HT: IO9

No comments: