Saturday, May 19, 2012

This Stuff Made Me Smile

Wear sunscreen and never give up

Scroll down to see an obscure super hero break dance.

The Amazing Fact Generator.

This post about dance music, especially the conclusion:

In younger days, I proudly flew the rockist flag. Yet after several years as a newspaper critic, my defenses wore down. I learned not to get so uptight about music that is often a means rather than an end in itself. It occurred to me that one reason I might not respond favorably to contemporary club/dance/electronica music is because I don’t like to dance and I don’t like clubs filled with people who do. It’s not meant for me — just as Lady Gaga is not meant for me and Justin Bieber is not meant for me.
More than that, I realized that time has a funny way with music. Appalachian mountain music was meant to be danced to. Today we call it “traditional,” with all the connotations of staidness that such a label brings to mind.
We don’t yet call “Last Dance” “traditional music,” but who knows what kind kind of taxonomical tricks the next 100 years will have in store:

Finally, something about Andy Grammer's "Fine By Me"reminds me of Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl" which reminded me of one of my favorite songs "We Didn't Start The Fire."





No comments: