Thursday, April 5, 2012

Gaines Burgers Nostalgia


This morning's Yankton Press & Dakotan covers politicians' continuing efforts to change consumers' minds about pink slime.  I'm not an advertising genius, but I'm fairly certain calling the product "Lean Finely-Textured Beef (LFTB)" is not a good start.

First, LFTB doesn't really evoke a positive response.  It certainly doesn't combat the negative connotations inherent in pink slime.  Perhaps BPI along with Governors Perry, Branstad, Brownback, Perry, and Lt. Governor Michels could form a punk gospel quartet called Ammonia Haze to sing the praises of the stuff.

Second, LFTB seems too close to LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bi-sexual Transgender). Liberals might start having flashbacks to Soylent Green; conservatives might think Hy-Vee is catering gay weddings.

Third, the P & D article contains the following nod to toward truth in labeling:
BPI has endorsed the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) voluntary labeling of LFTB. Michels said he supports providing such information to help consumers make choices.
Efforts are under way to get LFTB restocked in groceries, Michels said. Hy-Vee, which has stores in Yankton and Vermillion, is offering consumers LFTB as an option.
“If Hy-Vee is putting (LFTB) out there and labeling it, so be it,” the lieutenant governor said.
In addition, the USDA has given school districts the option of whether to use LFTB in their nutrition programs, Michels said.
“The practical matter is the cost,” he said. “For the products without the lean textured beef, the cost is significantly higher.”
I suppose labeling is a start, but I remember this commercial and others like it from the 1980s and earlier.


Maybe I'm too old, but if meat byproducts weren't good enough for Gaines Burgers, I'm not sure why I should eat them.

3 comments:

D.E. Bishop said...

Good one, and funny.

Those boys will work pretty hard at spinning that slimy crap. I expect them to come up with something else. Or make it so abstract it doesn't seem real.

PINK SLIME!
NOT FIT FOR DOG FOOD!

larry kurtz said...

Good eye, LK!

D.E. Bishop said...

I found this in my old home town newspaper, the Miller Press. That's in the heart of cattle country. This is an article on Pink Slime. Very laudatory of that wonderful food!

http://themillerpress.com/pages/?p=3731

(I haven't lived there for 40 years and hardly know anyone there now. My family has all moved away decades ago. I did notice that there is no byline for this story. Wonder if it was a cut & paste from the Dakota Dunes guys?)