Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Sioux Falls Argus Leader Channels Weird Al Yankovic and Mighty Mouse

It even brings to mind ABC's Wide World of Sports.

I know that newspapers have it tough, even a Gannett publication that dominates an entire state might have to watch the bottom line and think up new ways to attract readers.  Even with that caveat, this Argus Leader commercial seems a bit over the top.


I eagerly await John Hult telling me about drama of everyday life, but hasn't that been done albeit with the addition of the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat?


Now that I think about it, the challenging of assumptions about right and wrong has been done too.   At least we've been told that everything we know is wrong.


I guess the biggest problem with the ad is Hult's assertion that reading the paper will keep readers safe.  We don't need no stinkin' newspaper. Hult has nothing on Mighty Mouse.


Update:  Maybe it's just me, but I wonder if the Argus powers that be decided to chose Hult as spokesperson because he evokes memories of the character Animal from Lou Grant.


4 comments:

caheidelberger said...

Curious; why is Hult's head almost always turned to the side?

Tim said...

Showing your age with the "Animal" reference. Only us old farts remember that.

LK said...

Good question. I think it's supposed to add an air of authenticity to what he's saying.

D.E. Bishop said...

It's all pretty funny.

I remember as a kid being all excited for the beginning of "Wide World" so we could see the guy crash at the end of the ski jump. I guess we were sadistic little bastards.