Monday, March 19, 2012

My Youth Keeps Slipping Away

Saturday mornings used to be musical: The Monkees, The Archies, Josie and the Pussycats.  Ok it was all bad, but in the days of fewer than three channels on the plains, it sometimes passed for entertainment before the important stuff like The Herculoids came on. (I may be getting my cartoon history mixed up.  Insert whatever sci-fi replacement you wish.)

This morning I find the news that one of the inspirations for one of the musical cartoon characters has passed away.
Josie DeCarlo, the inspi­ra­tion for singer-guitarist Josie McCoy of the 1970 Hanna-Barbera TV cartoon series "Josie and the Pussy­cats" and its suc­ces­sors, has died in her sleep. Her age was not imme­di­ately available. 
Yeah, the animation is bad and the music is pure bubble gum pop, but I was young.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never liked Josie, the Monkees, Archies, or any of that bubblegum stuff. That's because I was much too grown up, sophisticated, eternally bored, and avant garde.

D.E. Bishop said...

The previous comment was supposed to have my name on it, but it jumped off!

LK said...

D.E., I envy you.

I was and remain a poor farm boy trying to make his way in the world.

At the time I was engaged in deep philosophical discussions about whether one would want to have Betty or Veronica as a girlfriend.

D.E. Bishop said...

LOL! Thanks.