Friday, January 20, 2012

Why I Teach: I Don't Think Daugaard And Schopp Get It

This morning, I loaded up some of the young'uns in a Suburban and headed to the Watertown Speech Fiesta.

On the trip, without any prompting from the SDDOE or the Governor, we discussed domestic violence, Thomas Hobbes's social contact, the ability of the U.S. to deal with the European debt crisis, the shortcomings of a tech centric mindset, and Yugi-Oh; I suppose the Governor and Secretary Schopp may not approve of the last two topics.

Debate and literature classes promote all sorts of discussion that benefit students even if the state can't develop a bubble test to check on it.

Instead of worrying about all the metrics, the Governor and Secretary Schopp should let teachers teach, an act I accomplished today by listening and driving.  They should also let students learn; something my kids did today because what they were learning wouldn't be on the test.