Thursday, January 12, 2012

Plains Pops: Education Around The Web

Andrew Sullivan links to two views of AP credits here.  His readers show resounding support here.

Many conservative began showing their disdain for teachers years ago.  Nick Kristoff lets some of his liberal disdain show.
The blog of the Albert Shanker Institute, endowed by the American Federation of Teachers, praised the study as “one of the most dense, important and interesting analyses on this topic in a very long time” — although it cautioned against policy conclusions (of the kind that I’m reaching). [empahsis mine]
After all, teachers know nothing about policy, so one need not take their warnings seriously.

Finally, just because I have been trying and failing to do a bit more to live Philipians 4:8--
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things--
I want to point to this Robin Bates post at Better Living Through Beowulf.  She quotes Wayne Booth who writes,
When I “perform” for myself or attend a performance of King Lear, The Misanthrope, or The Cherry Orchard, when I read Don Quixote, Persuasion, Bleak House, or War and Peace, I meet in their authors friends who demonstrate their friendship not only in the range and depth and intensity of pleasure they offer, not only in the promise they fulfill of proving useful to me, but finally in the irresistible invitation they extend to live during these moments a richer and fuller life than I could manage on my own.
Of course no economist is going to consider that sort of richer and fuller life "value added."

No comments: